Friday 26 December 2014

Dr LeWinn's Day Cream Moisturiser

20141130_122753 

Goodness - I dislike this product! I feel bad saying that because I know it is a cult product, one that (supposedly) was originally formulated for patients after surgery but ... BLEAH!

I received a small trial pot (so that was one blessing, as this baby is not cheap) and I was looking forward to trying it because I actually quite like the Dr Lewinn's night cream.  But so much disappointment ensued.

Firstly, it smells awful.  This seems to be a resounding comment around the web and while fragrance free is commendable "scent of ever so slightly old play dough" is really not what you expect in a $70 cream ...

Once you get over the smell the cream is quite thick which means that you don't need much (seriously, this tiny wee pot is lasting me ages) and even though the cream is thick it is absorbed quickly and doesn't leave a greasy slick.

But does it perform? For me, no.

Now I tried this out under some pretty hard conditions.  I started using it straight off a long haul flight to the northern hemisphere where my skin had to battle not only dehydration but cold weather.  And this moisturiser failed miserably.  I really struggled with my make up as small dry patches flared up on my cheeks and over the course of a couple of weeks I never really felt as though my skin was recovering.

Ironically, it was the plane journey back home where I slathered my face with Clarins Hydra Quench that gave my skin some relief.

The Dr Lewinn's Day Cream Moisturiser's main ingredient (after good old water) is dimethicone, which might explain why I didn't get on with it.  This is basically a silicone and does a great job of smoothing out your skin (many of those 'five second blur' type creams have a dimethicone base).  After dimethicone is apricot kernel oil and I wonder if that it what contributes to the disconcerting smell. It looks like apricot kernel oil does have some skin benefits and it can be great for prematurely aged, dry or irritated skin.  If that sounds like you, it might be worth seeking out just the oil for a quick massage over a clean face before bed.

Another downer on this product for me is that it offers no SPF protection.  That, combined with expense, smell and under performance make it a no-go for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment